Monday, March 25, 2013

Some days are crazy...

If you've never read it, "Kill as Few Patients as Possible: And 56 Other Essays on How to Be the World's Best Doctor" sounds like a joke.

Instead, it's a funny, insightful book.

Today felt like the chapter "death by appointment book."

Crazy patients, we all have them. Generally, we can survive one or two of them without a sedative.


However, today I had a bunch. I had the lady that wants a denture to look 20 years younger, a highly dental phobic principle, a surly, self-absorbed assistant, and no real power to do anything.

The patients would come 10 min late with a thirty minute variance. Some came early by 15 minutes. Some came late by 30 minutes.

Additionally, my setup would be missing something critical. For my extraction, the assistant had no periosteal elevator, no scalpel, no forceps. For the bridge prep, my handpiece stalled midway, and the assistant didn't have the right impression tip. During my prep, she would disappear to chat with the girls. This was frustrating to say the least.

This really highlights the value of a good system, good staff, and patient management.

Personally, I can't understand healthcare workers who see work as a just a 9-5 job. I see patient care as a sacred trust where I will do no harm. If they are accommodating, I will happily bust my ass to serve them.

Man, crazy.
Tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment