But it can also save you a lot of money, pain, and disease.
Flossing prevents the most common cavity from forming:
- Food/plaque gets stuck between teeth, where the toothbrush won't reach.
- This feeds bacteria which secrete acid.
- This acid causes the cavity by eroding enamel.
- Once the bacterial breaks the enamel layer, much damage ensues.
- Flossing removes prevents this from starting.
- Plaque constantly reforms around teeth.
- This provides a haven for systemic bacteria to thrive.
- These bacteria recirculate to colonize other areas (scars, artificial implants, etc).
- Flossing removes a haven for bacteria to thrive.
It costs ~$3 (depending on the floss).
It takes minutes to do (after practice).
If you excuse me now, I feel somewhat guilty.
I'll be flossing in the back....
ps. Dr. Goodtooth does not receive floss for free. He pays for it, and for every patient. If you do have a free source, please email me and let him know.